How do you know if you need your balustrade checked?
- If there are any visible signs of rust on the balustrade and/or fixings (E.g. rusted bolts or rivets) and/or
- If the balustrades are over 10 years old – there was little or no certification of balustrades until recently so some may constitute a risk.
- If you have no balustrade maintenance regime in place – after recent accidents councils are insisting testing and maintenance regimes be put in place
Many bodies corporate & owners corporations have achieved peace of mind before events where balconies and balustrades get a lot of use. Examples of where our services have been used:-
- Before parties
- Before festivals and events – like Sydney Harbour New Year’s Eve Fireworks, Brisbane’s Skyfire, the Gold Coast Indy or Sydney’s Mardi Gras
- Where balconies have views of fireworks and are used a viewing platforms – like Sydney’s New Year’s fireworks display
Why a Solutions In Engineering balustrade test is the only guaranteed test?
- This is not a superficial visual inspection, this service includes a proper structural performance test using our exclusive patented machine and system
- Your test includes load testing of the structural performance of the posts and rails by our own patented machine. Pre 2002, balustrades can be tested by applying a load of 0.9 kilo Newton (kN). Loads are applied as per Clause 4.7.1 (a), Australian Standard AS1170 Part 1 – SAA Loading Code.
- We will test railings by applying the prescribed pressures in an outward and downward direction.
- Also a proper assessment of the geometry of the balustrade in terms of the Building Code of Australia including height and railing width requirements.
Your report also includes: –
- Digital photos identifying any balustrade issues
- General recommendations on how the railings can be effectively repaired
Qld Balustrade Testing (299 kB)